Elopement Costs. The One Question You Should Be Asking Yourselves First.
Updated: Oct 13, 2019
So you've made the exciting decision that you want to elope. YAY.
This is such an exciting time for you both and there is so much to look forward to but where do you start looking? How much is it going to cost? Is it really going to be cheaper than a ''big'' wedding? At the start it can be so daunting looking at the different options and opinions on the internet, let alone if you are wanting to elope to another country. I am here for you to (hopefully) make everything that much clearer.
But first you need to ask yourself a question, which when answered, will give you a great starting point.
What is the MOST important part of the experience that you are both looking for and what are you willing to pay for it? (Okay...maybe that's two questions but they both go together).
Lets break it down:
A couple who are looking to break away from the ordinary, who are not bothered by the small details and want to elope quickly and simply, their wedding is going to cost a considerable amount less then a couple who are looking for all the details of a ''big'' wedding but down scaled to the intimacy of just the two of them. Do you want epic photos and a video of your day to be able to look back on and show to your family OR are you big foodies who want to have a simple ceremony then to go to a fine dining restaurant and enjoy some delicious food? Are you a couple who are wanting an adventure, willing to go hiking and exploring and then just to be together sat under the stars OR are you a couple who values creativity and style and want to incorporate that into your day?
You then need to think about and look at your budget. Yes, eloping CAN and most likely WILL be less expensive than a larger wedding, if you want it to be. You don't have to think about catering for 100s of people or sending 100's of invitations out so you may decide that the money you would be 'saving' can go towards your experience/making memories/having your honeymoon all in one OR you could be putting that towards your first home together. What ever you think is more important to spend your money on, is up to YOU and will help you decide what your elopement is going to be.
Now, as a wedding/elopement planner, I am a big believer that you should be able to get the wedding of your dreams, no matter if you have a small or large budget BUT no matter how much money you have to spend, knowing what is MOST important to you is key.
The main costs you will have to factor in when eloping is:
- The travel and the accommodation - are you looking for something cute and cosy or are you wanting 5 star? Are you happy with using buses to get around or are you wanting to get a hire car?
- The celebrant & the ceremony - The costs for this on average are from £300-£600 and it can all depend on travel/fuel costs for the celebrant and the type of ceremony you would like; a non-legal ceremony (where you would get married in your home town/country before eloping) is less than a legal ceremony (depending where you want to get married the cost may include marriage visas, registering the marriage and other fees).
- A photographer - Are you wanting someone for a few hours or a photographer to spend the day with you? Are you wanting a reputable photographer that has 1000's of followers on instagram? What type of photography are you after? Deciding this can be the difference between spending £200 or £2000.
- A videographer - Exactly the same as above for the photographer
- A wedding planner - Are you wanting some one just to point you in the right direction or are you after someone who will take care of everything?
- Food & Drink - Are you happy with a yummy local pub dinner with amazing live music or are wanting a Michelin star chef making you dinner in the comfort of your Air BnB?
I realise that there is so much to think about and to take in but my advice is to take yourself off the internet for a minute (instagram is amazing but comparitious can make you think you need or want something you perhaps don't) and visualise your PERFECT day. Where are you? Who else is there? What are you doing?
Once you have a clear image in your head and you know what you want the most, get back on the internet and make it happen!
With all this in mind I have created packages that can suit everyone. Follow the link here.
And remember - its your special day, ENJOY every second of it!